I will be one of the panellists at the third Eye Forum being held at London College of Communication on 22 January.
If you’ve got a question on the topic you can email it to the magazine or contribute from the floor on the night.
If you’re coming along, let me know!
Eye Forum no. 3: ‘Design and education’
The third Eye Forum promises to be the best yet, so we hope you can come. The Forum takes place at the London College of Communication (LCC) on Tuesday 22 January at 6.30pm. Please come along to debate some of the ‘burning issues’ in design education, together with broader issues such as recruitment, lifelong learning, design literacy and the role of self-taught designers. As before, after the main event in the lecture theatre, there will be drinks, canapés and plenty of time to network and socialise.
There’s plenty to talk about, so we are again inviting delegates to submit questions – in the manner of the BBC’s long-running TV show Question Time – which can be short or long, plain or nuanced, serious, heartfelt, flippant or funny. And this time, I’d like to encourage delegates to read their questions from the floor. The chair will open up each question to the audience, so that everyone is free to join the debate, and to challenge or develop points made by the panel.
Please get involved.
To submit your question(s), email firstname.lastname@example.org by 7 January 2007, or add them to this blog.
Here are some of the ‘burning issues’ already suggested for the Forum:
* Standards: is everyone speaking the same language?
* Do educators select students on their mark-making ability – at the expense of communication?
* Do employers regard new talent as a renewable source of cheap labour?
* Is design art? Is it time to separate the two?
* Is it important to have a visually literate nation (in a post-literary world)?
Our distinguished, expert panel will comprise:
- Jonathan Baldwin (design historian and lecturer, University of Dundee),
- Jamie Hobson (head of marketing and admissions, London College of Communication).
- Lesley Morris, (Design Council),
- Tim Molloy, (head of design, Science Museum)
- Simon Sankarayya (art director, AllofUs)
- The chair will be Alan Livingston (principal, Falmouth College of Arts)
Please come along to join us for ‘burning issues’ and warming drinks on a cold night – Tuesday 22 January 2008.
To book your place, email email@example.com, call 020 8267 4804, or go online Tickets cost £30 (£25 students) including wine and canapés.
Be seeing you
John L. Walters, editor, Eye
The sponsors for this Forum are Represent, the bespoke recruitment agency and Quark.